Obituary

I detach from myself
And look down
At the grave of my marriage
And my deceased body
Wandering and lost
Like a ghost around it
Trying to sniff out
Some reassuring signs of life
But the grave is so dead
And dark and eerie
The mud sheeting it tightly 
Into a suffocating 
And foul-smelling box
Where there are only
Decaying remnants
Of destroyed dreams
Sinews and remains
Of a broken, bleeding heart
Scraps of shattered hopes
Tatters of necrosed love
And feelings that were
Never meant to blossom
Muggy and wet with 
Traumatic, throbbing tears
A carcass of a relationship
Left into skeleton and bones
Too soon transformed into a pathology.
There never was
A healthy, thriving bond
It had always been THIS diseased.
The illness had only grown with time
As I had numbed all sense of pain
Anesthsized myself from hurt
This colossal desensitization 
Had been the solution to survive this....
This joke of a relationship
That I couldn't even laugh at
And crying wasn't allowed freely.....
Drowning myself
Into a voluntary coma
Was the only way
To ventilate and keep alive
Except that each moment
I was involuntarily dying.
Everyone knew
But no one KNEW
You can't know
Unless you completely know
And the only way to know
Is to experience each hurt 
In every fraction of a second
That makes you asphyxiate.
What had made me stay
So long at the corpse of this relationship
that had no meaning whatsoever?
Was it my resilience?
My stubborn belief that this cannot happen to me on repeat?
My firm resolve that a little oxygenation of sweet, tender care could enliven it?
Was it the fear of finding myself lonely and lost once again?
Or perhaps the angst of the future unknown?
What was I doing staring at this grave
Long after the funeral prayers had been recited 
And the flowers of hope had wilted into dust.....
I stood there immobilized and powerless
As I saw myself float around
Like a crazy, thick-headed fool
Attempting all kinds of resuscitation
To blow life into dust
That would always remain a grave
Whose obituary had long been written
On a cold, bloody stone.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Effort

The eerie silence of absence